Thursday, April 3, 2008

When all the world was young

A friend of mine from my former piratical days has just recently started playing Warcraft. She's subscribed and is up to level 13 on her human mage. Talking with her is reminding me of what it was like when I first started playing. There was so much to learn and so much to see!

I will have to make sure that I don't either overwhelm her with information or try and force her to play a particular way. I told her that Frost was the best spec for levelling and she responded that she had put her points in Arcane. Rather than scream Nooooooooooooo at her down the interweb tubes and demand she change to Frost I smiled and said that if she's having fun with it then she should stay with it.

It's easy to forget the innocence of that first period of playing. Maybe some people go into the game researching and min-maxxing from the get go. I'm glad I enjoyed a time of just running around with my icy weapon enchant and my gear with +strength clueless of my noobery but I enjoying my explorations in Azeroth immensely.

I could really make the comparison to being a kid and all full of fun and curiosity and then end game when you grow up and get a mortgage for your flying mount and work for an employer called 'end game progression' that involves raiding and farming all the live long day (and/or night).

Sometimes it's good to stop and smell the roses I think.

2 comments:

Pike said...

One of the reasons why I like alts so much is because it really does rekindle that feeling for me... Azeroth, for some reason, has more of an epic "explorer" feel to it than Outlands does for me. I loooooove leveling alts because I can run around and feel that epic feeling, like I'm discovering everything all over again.

Anonymous said...

so true!
I think in a lot of ways the game was more fun for me before I started reading all the stat math.

I actually rolled a pally the other day and decided to *not* read about the class yet. Just play.